The Vincentian Fathers and Brothers arrived from Ireland to take over St Charles Seminary and St Stanislaus’ College in 1889, the College having been in operation since 1867. The first Vincentian President was Fr James Byrne CM, who was principally involved in the Seminary and left the running of the College to the Vice President, Fr Patrick Dowling CM. Since the time of Fr Byrne and Fr Dowling, Vincentians have played an integral role in the life of Stannies. Generations of Old Boys have been inspired by the Vincentian Charism and identify its Vincentian character as one of the most precious attributes or features of the school. One expression of the strength of the Vincentian ethos at Stannies is that more than 200 Old Boys have been ordained Catholic Priests since the school was founded.
Vincentians continued in the role of President and Headmaster until the commencement of 1993, when it was decided to separate the two roles. Mr John Edwards was appointed as the first lay Headmaster in 1993 and continued in this role for 20 years. The current Head of College is Dr Anne Wenham.
St Stanislaus’ derives great benefit from the active involvement of the College appointed Vincentians and from those in the Bathurst Community and in other Vincentian Communities who continue to be very interested in Stannies and who loyally support the College in its various endeavors.
A number of Vincentians also assist the school by being members of the Board of Directors. The Very Reverend Fr Greg Brett is the Provincial of the Australian Province of the Vincentian Fathers and regularly attends Board Meetings.